Research Department: Regeneration of Cities and Towns
Project Leader within IRS: Dr. Anja Nelle Dr. Heike Liebmann
Project Team: Ulrike Milstrey
Consortium: Leibniz Institute for Research on Society and Space (Coordination) Brandenburgische Beratungsgesellschaft für Stadterneuerung und Modernisierung mbH Büro Stadtforschung.net
Funding Organization: Bundesinstitut für Bau-, Stadt- und Raumforschung
Duration: 01/2004 - 12/2016
The joint Federal and State governmental programme “Urban Restructuring in the New Federal States” was launched by the German Federal State in the field of urban development funding (Städtebauförderung) in 2002 (initially until 2009). The programme aims to support upgrading interventions in city centres and urban neighbourhoods worthy of long-term preservation. Additionally, it seeks to stabilise urban housing markets by offering support for demolishing unoccupied housing stock for which no future demand is expected. After an evaluation in 2007/2008, the German Parliament (Bundestag) decided to extend “Urban Restructuring in the New Federal States” until 2016 as a distinct component within the federal urban development funding programmes.
The Federal Transfer Office Urban Restructuring in the New Federal States sees itself as a centre of expertise providing academic support to the wider programme. It serves as an intermediating authority and as such contributes to further refining processes of urban restructuring. Core tasks of the Federal Transfer Office are:
• Enabling and actively supporting constant and fast information exchange and knowledge transfer between the various actors involved in processes of urban restructuring
• Describing the state of the art regarding the implementation of the programme as well as providing information and advice to the commissioning bodies e.g. by means of regular expert discussions with representatives of the ministries and stakeholders involved in municipal urban reconstruction measures.
Instruments of Knowledge Transfer:
• The internet site www.staedtebaufoerderung.info is the main platform for information provision and acquisition, exchange of experiences and knowledge transfer. It provides the latest background information on the programme, research results, a database with examples, documentation of symposiums as well as literature and links to research projects related to urban restructuring. Furthermore, e-mail newsletters which contain the latest information on the field of “Urban Restructuring in the New Federal States” are regularly distributed.
• To encourage information exchange, expert workshops, transfer events and symposiums on selected issues of urban reconstruction have come to play a key role. The expert workshops and transfer events are geared towards opening up new fields of debate as well as to discussing the potential transferability of successful strategies and projects. These topic-specific events promote dialogue between the various stakeholders involved in projects of urban reconstruction (on federal, state and municipal level as well as from planning practice).
• Another vital instrument of knowledge transfer is the Federal Transfer Office’s publications. Amongst them, the publication of a status report on “Urban Restructuring in the New Federal States” is particularly relevant. It is complemented by the release of workshop and event documentation online and the publication of papers in academic journals and edited volumes.