The large-scale expansion of renewable energies is characterized by more decentralized and consequently more land-intensive production patterns than conventional energy supply systems. This brings about important new sustainability challenges, including extensive spatio-environmental impacts, reliability of energy supply and social compatibility. Understanding the challenges associated with new energy landscapes and exploring potential solutions is the focus of the EnergyDays 2018. The conference aims to understand the regional, national and European effects and trade-offs which are associated with new technologies and other system elements of energy transitions in their economic, ecological and social dimensions. Based on this, it explores options for organizing a sustainable spatial allocation of renewable energy provision. The conference will foster the exchange between land-use-oriented energy research at the UFZ and the national and international scientific community.
To discuss recent progress in research on the spatial dimension of energy transitions, we welcome abstracts related to the following subjects:
- Spatial allocation of renewable energies
- Spatial assessment of renewable energy potentials
- Environmental and social impacts of renewable energy expansion
- Governance of energy landscapes
- (Un)Fairness, (in)justice and (un)acceptance regarding the use of renewable energies
The EnergyDays 2018 features two categories of submissions:
- Oral presentation
- Oral presentation accompanied by a conference paper. Selected papers will be invited to submit to a special issue in Energy, Sustainability and Society (ESSO)
The maximum number of words for the abstract is 300. When submitting your abstract please use this template. Abstracts should be attached to an email that will be sent to energydays(at)ufz.de. The subject of the email should be “Abstract – EnergyDays 2018". The length of the submitted paper should not exceed ten pages. At least one author of an accepted paper or oral presentation must attend the conference to present the paper.
- Abstract submission deadline (1,2) 14 May 2018
- Acceptance notifications (1,2) 6 July 2018
- Paper submission deadline (2) 10 September 2018
- Presentations due (1,2) 17 September 2018
- Notifications for special issue in ESSO (2) 19 October 2018